The Home Ministry of the Government of India constituted a 3-member interlocutors group on 13 October 2010 to find a solution to the Jammu-Kashmir issue. The interlocutors submitted their Report on 12 October 2011. The home ministry after suppressing the Report for 7 months made it public only on 24 May 2012.
Radha Kumar with ISI agent Fai
Prima facie the Report is not only objectionable but highly damaging to the unity, integrity and sovereignty of the nation. In a way the demands of the separatists have been given official sanction through this Report.
In fact when it was revealed that two of the three Interlocutors had participated in Anti-Bharat seminars upon the invitation accorded to them by ISI agent Dr. Ghulam Nabi Fai, questions were raised on the intentions of the interlocutors group.
The Interlocutors Report is a bundle of contradictions and a part of the international conspiracy to separate Jammu-Kashmir from the rest of nation. Any kind of debate is not possible on this anti-national document. This Report should be rejected in its totality and it is absolutely necessary to directly challenge this trend.
1. Report recommends that ‘The exchange of people, goods and ideas across the LoC must be facilitated through hassle-free procedures’ : So that Pakistan can easily send trained militants in India to kill innocent Indians. Recently arrested 26/11 Mumbai attack handler and LeT terrorist Abu Jundal revealed that LeT trained him along with many other militants in their training camp located in Pakistan Occupied Kashmir.
Also the recommendation means that India abandon its position, of 6 decades, on Jammu-Kashmir that it is an internal matter and accept the sovereignty of so-called Azad Jammu-Kashmir government, Pakistan and China respectively and forsake its claim.
2. Report uses term ‘Pakistan Administered Kashmir’ for parts of Kashmir occupied illegally by Pakistan : Even Pakistan does not use such term for Pak Occupied Kashmir (PoK), but these Interlocutors have used this term. It clearly violates the resolution passed by the Indian Parliament in 1994, which states that Pakistan must vacate the area of Kashmir illegally occupied by it. It seems that the Report is written to favor Pakistan !
3. Report recommends that ‘Allow TV channels from Pakistan to be seen in J&K’ : So that Pakistan can preach hatred against India and Hindu Dharma between locals in Jammu and Kashmir. Recently it was exposed by Pakistani Activist that Pak school students are taught alphabets as ‘A’ for ‘Allah’, ‘B’ for ‘Bandook’, ‘J’ for ‘Jehad’. Does Interlocutors want to create instability in India with such recommendation ?
4. Report recommends that ‘Retain the Article 370 as it asserts the unique status of the state. Delete the word ‘Temporary’ from the heading of Article 370 and replace it with the word ‘Special’ : Due to Article 370, the state’s residents lived under a separate set of laws, including those related to citizenship, ownership of property, and fundamental rights, as compared to other Indians. Indian citizens from other states and women from Jammu & Kashmir who marry men from other states can not purchase land or property in Jammu & Kashmir.
This is the only Article of the constitution which the makers of the constitution added for a limited period of time. Sheikh Abdullah himself was a member of the constituent assembly and had signed for this provision thus giving it his approval.
5. Report recommends that ‘Release of stone-pelters and militants, arrested under PSA and AFSPA, against whom there are no serious charges. Also provide amnesty for militants who renounce violence.’ : Does the Interlocutors want to give free hand to separatists and militants to attack security personnel and army personels ? Also this suggestion is not interlocutors own. It is the separatist Hurriyat Conference which had voiced similar demands through various mediums and the interlocutors have submissively retained it among their recommendations.
6. Report recommends that there should be ‘Review of special acts such as SPA and AFPSA’ : The interlocutors do not explain who are responsible for spread of misinformation, creating mistrust between rest of India and Kashmir Valley, misgovernance in the Valley, communalisation of the society in Kashmir, spread of terrorism, permitting false sense of victim-hood to be used by the ISI and Pakistan against India, forced migration and persecution of Kashmiri Hindus, and marginalization of nationalist forces in the Valley. In the entire report there is not a single word for praise for the security forces, accepting the role of Army and criticising the intentions of Pakistan. But the interlocutors did not forget to call the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) as ‘controversial’.
7. Report recommends that ‘The state government shall send three names to the President for the selection of the governor. The President shall opt one among these to be appointed as governor.’ : According to our federal constitution, the governor is the representative of the President in a state. Selection of the governor by the state government is not only unconstitutional but it is also repudiation of the authority of the president. How could anyone be considered a representative of the President when the President himself does not have the authority to either appoint or change him ?
8. Report says that ‘Jammu-Kashmir is a bridge between South and Central Asia, take all appropriate measures to establish this bridge.’ : This observation is highly objectionable. Jammu-Kashmir is an inalienable part of India and in this view it is India’s door to Central Asia. This attempt to provide it a sovereign identity which is severed from India by mentioning it as a bridge between two geographical regions is deplorable.
Can Kashmir be saved by trusting these people?
J&K Chief minister Omar Abdullah says…
1.Accession of Jammu-Kashmir was not complete unlike other states of Bharat. Accession had some conditions which Bharat did not fulfill.
2. Jammu-Kashmir is an issue between two countries (Bharat and Pakistan) amid which Jammu-Kashmir is getting trampled for the last 63 years.
3. Autonomy is the only solution. Pre-1953 status should be reinstated.
Union Home minister P Chidambaram says…
1. Jammu-Kashmir has a unique history and geography due to which its solution is also unique, compared to the rest of Bharat.
2. Clandestine talks will happen, strategies would be worked out and once the solution is found it would be known to everyone.
3. We had made some promises in 1952, 1975 and 1986, we have to fulfill those promises we made.
4. Accession was under unique circumstances, this was different from other states; Omar did not state anything wrong about accession in his speech in the assembly.
5. Autonomy would be discussed and thought upon.
Interlocutor Dileep Padgaonkar says…
1. Ours is a beautiful constitution where everyone’s sentiments can be taken into consideration. It has been amended 400 times, the path to freedom can also be found.
We get angry
1. When China issues stapled visas to citizens of Bharat !
2. When China claims Arunachal Pradesh as its own !
3. When Pakistan demands Kashmir in International forums !
4. When Google map displays Kashmir as a disputed territory !
5. When American government’s websites depict Pakistan Occupied Kashmir as separate from Bharat !
BUT, we did not get angry when
1. Crores of rupees from your own tax money is used by the Government of Bharat to form a committee which itself provides the prelude to separate Kashmir from Bharat and the government elected by you welcomes the Report !
If you have faith in the fact
1. That Jammu-Kashmir has a strong cultural relationship of thousands of years with Bharat;
2. That Kashmir is an inalienable part of Bharat;
3. That the only thing remaining at this juncture is to take back the parts of Kashmir illegally occupied by Pakistan.
Protest against the Report